Friday, June 17, 2005


The bad and the good nails Posted by Hello

Around 3 months ago, I noticed deformity on my left hand middle finger nail. The nail became thinner and pits (holes) started to form on the nail. Now, the entire nail is covered with pits. The condition got worse as the pits started appearing on other fingernails as well. Some fingers were more severely affected than the others, with the original "pitted" fingernail- the LH Middle Finger, being the most damaged. Now the only unaffected survivors are my left hand index fingernail and right hand middle fingernail.

I consulted a dermatologist and he couldn't give me a definite condition. He went on with the usual blah blah that a doctor gives when he was unsure about a condition,

Dr. Seow: "There can be many reasons for this. It could be fungus infection. Or it could be @%$^@^$, @$#^$&, @#$%#$.... "

He gave a list of conditons that I couldn't even spell.

Dr. Seow: "Not to worry. I will run a test for you. All I need to do is to scrap some nail samples"

He took out a surgical knife looking thing and scrapped off the top layer of my LH middle fingernail.

Dr Seow: "It will take around 15-20 mins. You can go and have coffee first. I will call your number again"
Me: "OK"

I left the room and waited.

15 minutes later, Number 0930 blinked once again ouside Room 3. I proceeded in and Dr Seow said: "It is not fungus infection. So to get a immediate diagnosis, I would have to remove a part of you nail near the finger bed, but that would permanently damage your nail and leave a hole there. I don't think I would want to do that. Hahaha.... I will just give you some medication to apply."

Dr Seow: "Do you have asthma?"
Me: "No"
Dr Seow: "What abt your family?"
Me: "Not with my direct family"
Dr Seow: "Have you been experiencing sudden hair loss?"
Me: "I've always had thin hair, so I don't think.... no."
Dr Seow: " Did you handle any chemicals over the last 3 months?"
Me: "No"
Dr Seow: "There isn't a big problem here. The medication I'm going to give you is actually for the hair because they don't make this specially for the nails. hahaha... I'm going to write it down in case the pharmacists gets confused. Hair, nail and skin are all related and are the specialties of dermatologists. hahaha... Try this lotion, apply them on the nail bed of affected nails. After 2 or 3 months, if there is no improvement, come to me again. haha... OK?
Me: "So, there's nothing wrong?"
Dr Seow: "Nothing serious, haha..."
Me: "OK, thanks"

I left the room feeling like it was a waste of my time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home