Monday, August 08, 2005

Sunset- the happy side

Went jogging yesterday because I was too bored at home. Stamina now quite telok. Only run 2km already feel bei tahan. Need to get back my stamina. Used to run 10km without feeling the strain. There's a running track just below my block that links to Sunset area. It isn't the stadium kind of track, but rather a track that runs beside a huge water canal that links to sunset area. There are some really enthu people who run there everyday without fail. Also, there are maids who work in the Mt Sinai area who walk their dogs there as an excuse to meet up and gossip. Towards the end of the running track, I saw Donut doing stretching excerises (Donut from TCS8 last time... the short stumpy guy.) I didn't wish to turn back so early as I was bored of staying at home and my mum just came back home from an unpleasant day at work. This means endless nag, nag, nag. So I decided to venture into the Sunset area(there was another running track there). I was tired and lazy, so I decided to walk.

As I approached Sunset, it was around 6 plus and the sun was setting. How lame, sunset at Sunset. But Sunset does look more beautiful at sunset. I don't know why but the people over that side looked happier. I saw this couple holding hands and walking down the track. They were happy and all smiles, the smile of love. I could hear birds returning to their nests and were "cooing" away.

(Luckily, there weren't so many trees and birds. Otherwise, the picturesque scene would become a nightmare. I would be trying hard to avoid birdshit. There's this stretch of road near my block that is infested by nesting birds. You become the target board if you pass by at the wrong time. The birds rain down birdshit like machine guns and there are shit stains all over the cement floor.)

Back to beautiful sunset... I could smell freshly cut grass. The grass by the side of the tracks had just been trimmed and the air was filled with the smell of fresh grass. In my mind, I could hear the sound of the "grass-cutter" slicing away at the grass. I could imagine the blades rotating at such a high speed that you could no longer make out the shape of the blade. I don't know why, but since young, "Banglas"(no offence) cutting grass had always left a deep impression on me.

As I walked further, I approached a nicely designed (nice for Singapore HDB design standards) overhead bridge that linked HDBs flat over the canal. I walked up the bridge. On my right was where I came from. On my left, I could see the abandoned raliway of Sunset. I remember being there years ago. Nicholas stayed at Sunset and he brought me there once. I can't remember who else was there, but I think there were 3 or 4 of us. It felt rebellious and anti-establishment standing on an abandoned railway at the age of 15/16. I felt like James Dean, a rebel without a cause. There were scribbles in liquid paper all over the black steel structure of the railway. Scribbles of eternal love- "B loves C forever." and the self-gratifying "B was here on ...". I think I'd pay a visit there again someday. But certainly not during this month, and certainly not at night. Haha... Somehow, at sunset, the side with the railway could pass off as a European countryside. I guess the rustic abandoned railway, the canal water running under it and the colour of sunset light combine to create an illusion.

It was getting late and I decided to head back home. As I walked back, I saw this woman probably in her 40s, feeding a stray cat. She hadn't noticed me. But when she knew I saw her feedling the cat, she gave me a hostile yet guilty glare. That's the kind of glare that I usually get from "stray cat feeders". I have one SCF feeding cats living in the void decks of my block. She ususlly feeds at midnight. When she sees me noticing her, she would give me the same glare. I read that expression as: "So what? I like cats and I'm feeding them. Even if they are stray. I don't care what you think. There's nothing wrong with what I'm doing." I guess some people object to feeding of stray cats because by doing that, you attract more cats into that area and they might "make friends" and expand their colony. But I'm OK with it. I think it's really humane to care for stray animals.

As I head back home, I thought to myself how simple life could be. I felt light and refreshed. We often neglect what we have around us and often seek things that we don't have. Once in a while we should all take time to reflect on the simple happiness around us. But I guess it is just human nature to strive for what we don't have, to neglect what we already have. Human beings can never be happy until we give everything up- Too Nirvana and 阿弥陀佛。 Getting too philosophical here. All these years, I have been living on the unhappy side. Am I ready to cross over to the happy side?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home