Sunday, May 30, 2004

Aching Achilles

Ended my 3-day part time job of selling shoes today. My feet are aching like mad, especially at the achilles. The seats (meant for the customers) are right in front of you but you can't sit down. The only moment of relief is when you squat down to arrange the shoes- feels like heaven, nearly orgasmic, but just nearly(haha!!). My auntie asked me:" Why do this kind of job? Need to squat down, bend down, serve customers, smell their feet?" I did not give a reply. I just thought to myself, she does not understand. She is just too narrow minded. You gotta give retailers the respect they deserve. They are actually more professional than you think they are. Not only do you have to remember the different models and where the individual models and colours are kept, you must also know the material, country of production, stretchability. You also have to keep a positive attitude 24/7, keep a smile and master the art of persuasion. The next time you pop into a shop with good service, remember the effort put in by the staff at your comfort.

The normal image of retailers we have may be gossip queens. It can be true sometimes but you can't blame them. You are trapped in a store space, standing for the emtire day. You look out of the shop only to see people passing by. You legs ache only to see customers sitting down in your shop, complaining that their feet ache from all the shopping. You might also be listening to the same CD repeating itself every hour. I guess the only entertainment is to gossip with your friends!!!I think I became more forgiving to the bad side of people's personality after I rationalize the reasons behind such behaviour. It took me some time to really open up to the customers(guess the fact that there is no commission played a part...Ha!). Although I suffered a few blows of insult to my intelligence from my colleagues who 1. do not trust me when I told them that was the last pair for that size and 2. do not trust that I can find the correct shoe, but I think I gained quite a bit too. When you are able to bring yourself below everyone else (SINCERELY of course), I think you can get through most things in life because there are bound to be downs in your life, it is just that it is easy to forget when you are at the high of your life. Cheers to life (For Now!!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home