Saturday, June 19, 2004

Speaking without words

I was travelling on the train today when I saw this cute little baby on the laps of her mother. It was a normal scenario in the MRT until the mother started conversing with her friend in sign language. Later on, the husband started joining in in sign language. The immediate thought in my head was "Is the child a mute?" It was an affirmed negative when I heard the baby saying some baby language. After that I heard the mother talking to the baby and her husband. It was actually the friend who was unable to speak. At first I felt sorry for her, but after seeing how normal she looked and how casual she was in conversing in public in sign language, I didn't know if I should pity her. Do I even have a right to pity her? I guess it takes a more courageous person with so called 'defects' to lead her life in a normal way and really see herself as no different from anybody alse. Now that is courage. We should all respesct her.

The power of sign language to convey messages amazed me. But I still think that the full scope of expression to be conveyed is best brought about through speech and by voice. Human language is still a more perfect way to convey a message. Looking at them speak through sign language makes me appreciate what a gift from God it is to be able to speak. But I guess it is this ability to speak that breeds problems and sins. This gift from God is also a poison chalice that we use to spread gossip and rumours, to insult and defame, to swear and curse, to lie and deceive. We often abuse this instrument, using it to harm others. Incessant brainless use of it can bring trouble upon oneself as well. Yet it is the reality of life that sometimes you cannot always be true with what you say or mean what you say. But I think I have been true to myself most of the time, but of course I have used it as a tool to get things my ways as well. Those who exploit it and manipulate it the best are those who "succeed". Such is the reality of life...

1 Comments:

At 3:45 PM , Blogger littleboyken said...

See, this is what I mean by you writing meaningful stuff. Anyway, rather insightful observations, unlike me, fall alseep once I use public transport.
I think there's always 2 sides to something. It could be a man's poison or medicine, depending how you look at it. I think that the mute lady wouldn't want people to treat her any differently as well.
It always takes more effort and guts to be accepted into society norms, especially when he or she is different.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home